College of the
Admissions and Records

Eligibility Information

    Open to any person 18 years of age or older who can benefit from the instructional curriculum of the college. High school graduates and holders of the Certificate of Proficiency are eligible for admission even if they are younger than 18.
    Any student who has completed the eighth grade can enroll but must?also fill out a Concurrent Enrollment Form- (pdf) signed by a parent or legal guardian, his/her high school principal in addition to the Enrollment Application. Concurrently enrolled students are eligible to take college level classes only and are limited to a maximum of 11 units.
    International students must follow special procedures outlined in the college catalog and as regulated by their visa status.? See International Students.
    Immigrant visa residents must provide their assigned "A number".
  • AB540:
    This law does not grant residency, it requires that certain nonresident students be exempted from paying nonresident tuition. This benefit is available to all US citizens, permanent residents of the US, and aliens who are not nonimmigrants (including those who are undocumented), who meet all other eligibility criteria listed below.
    • The student must have attended a California high school for 3 or more years.
    • Attendance could be at multiple California high schools
    • The student must have graduated from a California high school or attained the equivalent thereof (e.g., a GED or a high school proficiency exam). The GED or high school proficiency exam must be from California. There is no time limit on how far in the past the student might have attained this status.
    • Attendance at continuation high schools, charter high schools, independent study at the 9th-12th grade level while enrolled in a California public school, including a charter school, and private tutoring provided by a person holding a valid California teaching credential (and meeting other state requirements) are recognized under state law as acceptable manners in which to attend high school.
    • Home schooling -- instruction by a tutor or other person (including the student's parent) who did not have a valid California teaching credential -- is not acceptable.
    • The law does not distinguish between public and private high schools.
    • There is no time limit on how far in the past the student might have attended a California high school.
    • Students who are nonimmigrant aliens (the most common being the F series student visas and B series visitor visas), are not eligible for the exemption.
    • Students who previously held valid nonimmigrant visas but who are out of status at the time of execution of the affidavit are eligible for the exemption.

Any student who has met the above eligibility criteria must complete the "California Nonresident Tuition Exemption Request" form.


Students must be enrolled as a regular student and in an eligible educational program and have a high school diploma or the equivalent in order to be eligible for federal financial aid.? More information is available at http://www.redwoods.edu/Financial-Aid/.


NOTE: Undocumented students who have met the criteria above for AB 540 are exempted from paying nonresident?tuition but are not eligible for Federal Financial Aid (FAFSA).

International Students
Financial Aid

You will need the free Acrobat Reader to view certain materials.
Get Adobe Reader