College of the
International Students

College of the Redwoods
International Student Program


Federal Taxes

F-1 students must file federal tax forms every year they are in the U.S. regardless of whether they worked or not. The deadline to file the forms is April 15.

All International Students Must File Form 8843
International students who were in the U.S. in 2004 must complete Parts I, III, sign and mail Form 8843. Mail the signed form to "Internal Revenue Service Center, Philadelphia, PA 19255". The college information for Part III, item 9 of Form 8843 is:

College of the Redwoods
7351 Tompkins Hill Road
Eureka, CA 95501-9300
If You Worked, You Must Also File Form 1040NR-EZ or Form 1040NR
Read the instructions for Form 1040NR-EZ to determine which form you must file (most international students will file Form 1040NR-EZ). You are required to complete, sign and date your forms, and mail your forms to the address listed on the instructions.
Where to get forms
Internal Revenue Service (IRS) forms are availabe for download at www.irs.gov/formspubs/ (forms require Adobe Acrobat Reader).

California State Taxes

If you have earned no income in the U.S., you do not have to file a California State form. If you earned more than $12,729 in income during the year and are single, then you must file a California State Tax Form 540NR (short) or Form 540NR (long). Read the instructions for the short form 540NR to determine which form you must file (most international studnets who worked during the year will file short Form 540NR).

You may also want to file a California State form even if your income was less than the amount listed ablove, if any California State tax was withheld during the year, and you would like to obtain a refund of that tax. The way to tell if you California State tax was withheld is to look at your form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, and see if there is any amount in box 17. California non-resident tax forms can be downloaded at www.ftb.ca.gov/forms/.

Tax Form Help
College of the Redwoods staff can not help you complete income tax forms. If you have questions about how to fill out forms, you will need to contact the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), the California Tax Office (Franchise Tax Board), or pay a certified tax preparer to help you.

Federal Taxes (Internal Revenue Service)
Phone Assistance: call 1-800-829-1040
Web site: www.irs.gov

State Taxes (Franchise Tax Board)
Telephone Automated Assistance: call 1-800-338-0505
Web site: https://www.ftb.ca.gov/index.shtml