Placement Testing Process
1. Schedule a Test
- Schedule placement testing in advance by calling the Academic Support Center (707-476-4106) or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you are interested in coming to College of the Redwoods, but you are unable to make it to campus for the Math and/or English/ESL Placement Test, please visit Testing At A Distance to get started!
- Review before taking the English and/or
Mathematics Placement Test in order to ensure placement results that match your abilities so that you don't end up repeating material you
- For resources to help you
review, call the Academic Support Center (ASC) or see
"Review for the Placement Test"
3. At the Time of the Test
- Bring a current photo ID
- It is helpful if you either know your student ID number or have it written down. Cell phones are not permitted in the testing area.
- Accommodations are available for students with disabilities. Call the ASC in advance (707-476-4154) to make arrangements.
4. After the Test
- Placement Test results are available immediately after testing.
- Students are strongly encouraged to meet with a counselor following the Placement Test to discuss results and learn about course options. To schedule an appointment, contact Counseling & Advising.
- To retake the test, see "Placement Exam Policies and Practices"
Other indicators, or “multiple measures” are considered together with the test results to determine your placement such as:
- High School Transcripts
- Previous success and/or completion of college level coursework
- Highest level of English and/or math completed
- Past study habits and academic strengths
- Obligations that can impact course work
- Motivation to achieve your educational goal(s)