Student Services Orientation


At the conclusion of this orientation, you will be able to do the following tasks:


Please watch this short video about Brad Pitfall and Angelina Jolly. While you watch this video, think of some ideas of what makes a student successful, and, what makes a student unsuccessful.

EXTENDED OPPORTUNITY PROGRAMS AND SERVICES (EOPS) is state funded service intended to assist first generation, socioeconomically disadvantaged students to achieve their educational goals. Before applying for EOPS, students must have completed the steps to becoming a CR student, including enrollment in or completion General Studies 6 or General Studies 1. For more information about EOPS, please visit their website at

DISABLED STUDENTS PROGRAMS AND SERVICES ensures equal access to varies learning and physical disabilities. Check out their website at the link below:

COUNSELING AND ADVISING services are intended to helps students attain their educational goals by offering academic advising including transcript evaluation, educational planning, academic problem solving and make referrals when appropriate. Check out their website at

VETERANS CENTER:   All students who feel they are eligible for VA Educational Benefits should submit an application to the VA.   The College of the Redwoods Office of Educational Benefits does not determine eligibility, but help facilitate the process with the Veterans Administration. If you think you may be eligible for benefits, check out their website at

Learning Resource Center: LRC, also known as the Library, provides: student ID cards, printing and copying, book renewal, book check out, internet and computer use, and quiet study rooms and much more! Check out their website at

ACADEMIC SUPPORT CENTER: provide individual and small group tutoring, instruction services, referrals, computer access, DSPS make up testing, English and math placement testing, media viewing, private study areas, Math Lab, and the Writing center.   Check out their website at

Your first step for financial aid—is to apply.   It's free to apply! By completing the FAFSA, it will open doors to any and state and federal aid. Even if you think you aren't going to qualify—just apply.

Additionally, the CR Financial Aid website is also a very useful tool. Check them out at:


Certificate programs are short term (two to three semesters in length) and are usually in career technical and business fields. These programs focus primarily on preparing students for entry level positions in specific occupations or areas of employment.

Usually, there is no general education required, although depending on the certificate, there may be some English and/or math required. It is highly recommended that you complete the math and English placement process as soon as possible.

Whether you plan to earn a transfer degree or earn an associate degree specific to CR, both degrees require a minimum of 60 semester units from a combination of courses including general education, major preparation, and elective units.

Here is the unit breakdown:

Depending on your course of study, you will have anywhere from 18 to 39 units of general education, 18-21 units of major requirements and anywhere from zero to 24 units of electives.


These Associate degrees on the left hand side DO NOT prepare students to transfer to a university. We offer a wide variety of associate degrees, such as Automotive, Nursing, Business, and many more.


At CR, a student can complete the requirements and the general education to transfer to the California State University, the University of California and most four year colleges. Students who transfer with a minimum of 60 semester units, and who have completed the general education and the lower division requirements for the major, will be given admission priority to the California State University. While an associate degree is not required for transfer, students may be eligible for one by the time they are ready to transfer. On the right hand side you will see all of our transfer degrees that we offer.

Now, earn a transfer degree or an associate's degree, you must take English and math. If you haven't already completed the English and math placement process, do so as soon as possible.

To earn an a transfer degree or an associate's degree you will need at least English 1A.

Let's do an example: Brad Pitfall placed into English 350 and he wants to transfer to a university. Brad must take English 350, then English 150, then English 1A. How many semesters of English is that?

3 semesters.

Now, let's look at Math. Angelina Jolly placed into Math 376 and wants to transfer.   She must take Math Math 376, then Math 380, then Math 120 and then a transfer level math course

So, starting (or completing) the math and English sequence of courses as soon as possible is very important.

Whether you're transferring to a university, headed into the career technical field, or you're undecided, we have the right package of courses for you.

If you are transferring to a university, the link below will provide you with general education course options:

If you are pursuing a career technical education path, the link below will provide you with course options:
Major requirements:
General Education:

If you are undecided about your path, the link below will provide you with general education course options:

We recommend, no matter what path you pick, that you take a General Studies course (GS) for your first semester.

Read below for the GS 1 and GS 6 course descriptions: 

General Studies 1: College Success

(3 Units LEC) Grade Only

Recommended Prep: ENGL-150

Transfers to: CSU

Academic success preparation for the university-bound student. Stu­dents will learn how to navigate the challenges of higher education by practicing advanced reading, note and test-taking skills, higher-order thinking, and academic research, while establishing college and career paths and accessing the resources to support their goals.


General Studies 6: First Year Experience

(3 Units LEC) Grade Only

Recommended Prep: READ-360

A first year experience course focusing on the development of academic and personal skills necessary to succeed in college and beyond. Primarily assisting students in the transition between high school to college level expectations. Topics covered will be self-efficacy, time management, classroom dynamics, introduc­tory academic skills enhancement, institutional campus services and technology used in higher education.

Note: If offered as TBA, 54 hours are required.

If you tested into English 350 or READ 360, it is highly recommended that you take General Studies 6.

If you tested into English 150 or English 1A, it is highly recommended that you take General Studies 1.

Pay to Stay: You must pay for your classes now. If you do not pay for the courses, you are running the risk of being dropped.

There are three fees attached to your cost of courses:

You can opt out of the Technology fee and the Student Activity Fee by calling the Cashier's Office at 707.476.4126 or completing the form available on the Business Office website:


Now it's time to familiarize yourself with CR's technology systems! Please walk through each tutorial:

  1. MyCR
  2. Web Advisor
  3. CR Student Email


After you have completed the online orientation, here are next steps:

In order to receive credit for orientation, enter your last name, first name, and your 7-digit CR student ID number below, then press the Email Score button.