Skip to main content
Veteran's Resource Center

Veteran's Resource Center




About Us

Our mission is to support and facilitate academic success for Active Duty Military, Veterans and Dependents attending CR through relational advising, mentorship, transitional assistance, and coordination of military and Veteran-specific resources.

College of the Redwoods VRC is approved to train and certify Veterans and other eligible persons.

View Services

Location & Hours

Eureka Campus
The Veteran Resource Center is located on the first floor of the Student Services Building, Room SS-109.

Monday- Thursday 9am-4pm
Friday 11am-3pm

Please contact us at:
Phone- 707-476-4110

Veterans in Crisis

If you are in crisis, please call the Veterans Crisis Line at 1-800-273-8255 and press 1. They are also available for chat.


Getting Started with VA Educational Benefits

How do I apply for Benefits?

  • Apply face to face with a Resource Center Specialist, or...
  • Apply online here and submit your application directly to the VA 

While you're waiting for the VA to process your benefits, please navigate to the College of the Redwoods Admissions page and follow Steps 1-4.

Next, visit or call the Veteran Resource Center to schedule an advising appointment and register for classes.

  • Be sure to complete a Veterans Certification Request Form (VCRF) after registering for classes. This will ensure your payments reach you in a timely manner.

CalVet Fee Waiver

If you are the spouse or dependent of a Veteran with a service-connected disability, you may be eligible for this benefit.

The College Tuition Fee Waiver for Veteran Dependents benefit waives mandatory system-wide tuition and fees at any State of California Community College, California State University, or University of California campus. This program does not cover the expense of books, parking or room and board. There are four plans under which dependents of veterans may be eligible.

For more information, visit CalVet's website, or stop by and see our local Veteran Service Office.

Here are some other helpful links regarding education benefits options:

Veterans Benefits Forms

Veterans Certification Request Form
Used to certify for VA educational benefits. Must be completed EVERY semester.
Veterans Choice Act Residency Affidavit (VCA Form)
Use this form to receive in-state residency tuition rates. Please check with the VRC for eligibility criteria.
Advising Checklist
For all students- used to communicate specific concerns to the veterans program team
Statement of Understanding
Used to verify student understanding of rules for using education benefits at College of the Redwoods
Looking for other forms?


The VRC is a one-stop-shop, allowing students to ...

  • Visit VA specialists 
  • Complete academic and peer advising
  • Utilize technology for classwork
  • Submit admissions and financial aid documents 
  • Network with other military-affiliated students 
  • Inquire about resources
  • Improve transition skills
  • And even just to hang out in-between classes, all in one location

The VRC Bookshare Program allows students to borrow, free of charge, from our collection of textbooks, supplies, calculators and laptop computers.

Community Resources

The following are local Veteran-specific Resources in the Humboldt County area:  

Employment Development Department, Local Veteran Representatives:

Trae Garza, Disabled Veterans Outreach Program Specialist
409 K st., Eureka, CA 95501
(707) 441-5709


Contact Us

Contact Information

Veteran Resource Center

Matthew Gilliland
Veterans Program Coordinator

(707) 476-4110
Fax (707) 476-4493

 Dalin Campbell, Veteran Resource Specialist

 Student Services Building, Room SS-109

Find Us on Facebook


Monday- Thursday 
9:00am- 4:00pm


  2023 College of the Redwoods