The Redwoods Community College District was formed in January of 1964 by an election of the voters of Humboldt County. A bond issue of $3,600,000 was passed for the initial construction of what is now the college’s Eureka Campus.
From 1965-1967, the college offered courses and programs on the campus of Eureka High School. More than 1800 students registered at the College in 1965-66. The initial staff of the college consisted of 31 full-time faculty and administrative staff and approximately 85 part-time faculty.
The initial construction of the college’s Eureka Campus, seven miles south of the city of Eureka, took place from 1968-1975. In May of 1975, the residents of coastal Mendocino County voted for annexation into the Redwoods District, and in July of 1978, Del Norte County joined the district. The Del Norte Education Center in Crescent City was constructed in 1981; and the Mendocino Education Center, just south of Fort Bragg, was constructed in 1986. The college also maintains the Klamath-Trinity Instructional Site on the Hoopa Indian Reservation, approximately 60 miles northeast of Eureka.