Related Links


  • Eureka
    Student Services Building
    9:00am - 4:00pm
    (707) 476-4200 Voice
    (707) 476-4406 FAX
    Email Us
  • Del Norte
    9:00am - 4:00pm

    (707) 465-2300
  • Klamath-Trinity
    9:00am - 4:00pm

    (530) 625-4821

F-1 Visa Status

We want to help make sure that your time at College of the Redwoods (CR) is successful. It is your responsibility to know and follow the legal requirements that keep you "in status". Your "status" is the immigration category in which you entered the U.S. Most international students are in F-1 status. If you fail to stay in status, you will jeopardize your ability to complete your academic goals in the U.S. and risk having to leave the U.S.

Important Tips Regarding Immigration Regulations

You must:

  • Carry and complete a full course load at CR during the Fall and Spring Semester. Full-time is at least 12 units per semester.
  • Maintain at least a 2.0 for each term you are registered at College of the Redwoods and have no violations of the student code of conduct.
  • Apply for an extension of program if you will not complete your degree within the time specified in section 5 of your I-20. Apply for the extension 4-5 months before the I-20 expires.
  • Limit on-campus employment to 20 hours per week while school is in session or 40 hours during school breaks or holidays.
  • Not work off-campus unless you have specific authorization from the DSO and SEVIS.
  • Before traveling outside the U.S., have your I-20 signed by the DSO and check to see if the date of your F-1 visa is valid for re-entry.
  • Keep your passport valid for 6 months into the future.
  • Inform the DSO within 10 days if you change your U.S. residence address, your legal name, or your academic major.
  • Enroll in no more than one online class each term.
  • If you plan to transfer to another school, request a "release" to transfer to another school with the DSO before the completion date on your current I-20.
  • Report early departure date and reason if you leave College of the Redwoods before the completion date on your I-20.

You must see the DSO BEFORE you do any of the following:

  • Withdraw from College of the Redwoods (for any reason).
  • Are not registered full-time (for any reason).
  • Drop below 12 units of classes (for any reason).
  • Are not registered for a semester.

You must leave the U.S. within 60 days of completing your studies unless you change to another visa, apply for Optional Practical Training, post-completion (OPT), or enroll in another degree program.

If you fall out of status for some reason (for example not completing at least 12 units in one semester), you must meet with the DSO mmediately. Simply registering full-time the next semester or stopping your unauthorized work does not put you back in status. There are steps you can take to recover your status but the sooner you begin, the better your chances for approval. Recovering your status after having fallen out of status is not guaranteed.

Falling out of status has very serious consequences. You could be prevented from re-entering the U.S. depending on your status violation.

It is the policy of College of the Redwoods not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability or age in its educational programs and its employment practices.

Translate this page

  2021 College of the Redwoods