Why does your residency status matter?

Your residency status impacts the fees that you are charged and the types of financial aid awards that you are eligible for. Fees for students classified as non-residents are significantly higher ($305 vs $46 per UNIT) than the fees charged for students classified as California residents. More information about the fees can be found here.

Cost of Attending College of the Redwoods

California Residence Requirements

In accordance with the California Education Code, upon your admission to College of the Redwoods, or re-admission after an absence of 2 or more semesters, we will classify you as a resident or nonresident of California. This affects how much you pay per unit.

To qualify for California Residence Consideration you must be one of the following and be physically present in California for at least one year prior to applying to CR:

  • US Citizen.
  • An Alien with a Classification that allows you to establish a domicile: Permanent Resident, Recipient of Federal Amnesty, an Asylee or a Refugee.
  • DACA Eligible.
  • If arrived in the United States after the age of 17 and you are Undocumented, you must present evidence (ususally from USCIS) documenting that you have taken appropriate steps to obtain a change of status to a classification which does not preclude establishing a domicile.

Request for Residency Reclassification

To request a change in status from non-resident to resident, submit a 19 or Older Residency Reclassification Packet or Residency Reclassification Request Packet Under 19 to the Admissions and Records office. To be considered a legal resident of California, you must prove intent to make California your permanent home as well as prove physical presence in California for 1 year and 1 day prior to the start of the semester for which you are applying for residency. The Residency Reclassification Request requires you to provide 3 of the following documents (one document from each group and a third document from either group):

Acceptable Evidence of Intent

  • CA driver’s license or ID card
  • Marriage license/divorce papers issued from CA
  • Military Home of Record CA (DD214)
  • Registered to vote in CA
  • Licensing from CA for professional practice
  • Maintaining active checking/savings accounts in CA banks
  • CA vehicle registration
  • Federal and CA State taxes Showing CA address
  • Possession of hunting/fishing license as a CA resident

Acceptable Evidence of Physical Presence

  • Active resident membership in CA service or social club
  • Maintaining business or employment in CA
  • Recipient of CA State services
  • Selective service registration
  • Official CA high school transcripts (not college)
  • CA Utility bills (electricity, phone, water)
  • Ownership or rental agreement of CA residential property as primary residence

The 3 documents you submit must be dated 1 year and 1 day prior to the start of the semester through the present date. The documents must adequately show you have resided in California for the entire year and 1 day prior to the semester. Additional documentation may be requested if your documents do not sufficiently prove this.

**Note: Your residency status will not be changed unless you request it, in writing, by submitting the Residency Reclassification Request. We cannot process a retroactive change of status once a semester ends. You must meet the 1 year and 1 day requirement at the time of submission of Reclassification Request. Admissions and Records will only review residency requests for the current semester or the upcoming semester.


California Nonresident Tuition Exemptions

California nonresident tuition exemptions permit qualified students to be exempted from nonresident tuition fees. Instead, qualified students will pay California resident registration fees.



In accordance with Assembly Bill 540, any student, other than a nonimmigrant alien, who meets all of the following requirements, shall be exempt from paying nonresident tuition at the California Community Colleges:

  • The student must have attended a high school (private or public) in California for three or more years. Attendance at a California Middle School or Community College may be substituded on a one-to-one basis provided the student graduated from high school in California.
  • The student must have graduated from a California high school or attained the equivalent prior to the start of the term (e.g. passing a California administered GED or California High School Proficiency exam)
  • An alien student who is without lawful immigration status must file an affidavit with the college stating that he or she has filed an application to legalize his/her immigration status, or will file an application as soon as he/she is eligible to do so. You may obtain the required form, “Student Affidavit for Exemption from Nonresident Tuition” from the Admissions Office. This form must be submitted with the AB540 Exemption Application.
  • Students who are nonimmigrant (for example, F or B visas, etc.) are not eligible for this exemption.
  • Nonresident students meeting the criteria will be exempt from the payment of nonresident tuition and will be classified as California residents.

For More Details on AB540, please download the AB540 Information Flyer.

To apply, complete and submit the AB540/2000 to the Admissions and Records Office at College of the Redwoods.



Pursuant to California Education Code 68075.6, a student of the California Community Colleges who has a special immigrant visa that has been granted a status under Section 1244 of Public Law 110-181 or under Public Law 109-163, or is a refugee admitted to the United States under Section 1157 of Title 8 of the United States Code, and who, upon entering the United States, settled in California, shall be exempt from paying the nonresident tuition fee for the length of time he or she lives in this state up to the minimum time necessary to become a resident.

To apply, complete and submit the AB343 to the Admissions and Records Office at College of the Redwoods.


Oregon Exchange

College of the Redwoods offers reciprocity agreements that allow eligible Oregon residents to attend CR and eligible California residents to attend Southern Oregon University (SOU) or Oregon Institute of Technology (OIT) at a reduced tuition rate.

Oregon to California

Minimum GPA Requirement
  • SOU: 2.25 college, 2.00 high school
  • OIT: 2.00 college, 2.50 high school
Application Process
  1. Apply to College of the Redwoods
  2. Complete the reciprocity agreement with SOU or OIT
  3. Send your official transcripts to CR (high school or college)

California to Oregon

Minimum Unit Requirement
  • SOU: 60 total semester units
  • OIT: 60 total semester units for majors that require lower division General Education*
*For majors that do not have acceptable transfer General Education, or for highly impacted programs, a student is eligible to attend OIT without completing a minimum number of units at CR. Students are encouraged to contact OIT for information regarding these programs.
Minimum GPA Requirement:
  • SOU: 2.25 college
  • OIT: 2.00 college, 2.50 high school
Application Process:
  1. Complete and submit the Exchange Program Application to the Admissions and Records Office at College of the Redwoods.
  2. Apply for the Oregon institution of your choice:
  3. Send your Official transcripts from College of the Redwoods, or your high school transcripts if less that 60 units are completed at CR, to the Oregon institution you applied to.
If you have any questions regarding the Oregon Exchange Program, please contact:
Lauren Larsen
Student Services Specialist, Admissions & Records Office
College of the Redwoods
(707) 476 - 4201