What is EPIC? And what is an EPIC Peer Leader?
EPIC is a modified Supplemental Instruction program that facilitates learning and student success through embedded peer support both inside and beyond the classroom. EPIC Peer Leaders are CR students who have demonstrated mastery over the course content and are ready to serve as mentors, tutors, and model students. Peer Leaders attend all of the classes for the course they are assigned in addition to holding 1-2 focused study sessions/week outside of class time. EPIC Peer Leaders integrate “how to learn” with “what to learn” in their study sessions to engage their peers and help them apply effective study strategies pertinent to the course content.
- Enrolled as a student at College of the Redwoods
- Overall GPA of 3.0 or above
- Good interpersonal communication skills and collaborative skills
- Grade of B or better in selected courses
- Be able to attend all scheduled lectures for the course
- Be able to work approximately 7-12 hours per week.
EPIC Peer Leaders are responsible for facilitating peer study sessions for their assigned course.Their primary responsibilities are:
Attend scheduled lectures for the course
- Take notes
- Be a role model for good student behavior
- Assist the instructor by providing informal feedback and guidance to students during group work and other opportunities
- Actively advertise EPIC to the class throughout the semester
Prepare for EPIC sessions
- Prepare a different worksheet for every session
- Complete any necessary reading/homework to make yourself knowledgeable about current course material
- Integrate course content with active learning skills
Facilitate 1 to 2 EPIC session per week
- Guide students through course content using related worksheets or activities
- Schedule review sessions before tests and/or projects
- Engage students in active learning strategies such as review games
- Attend any and all training sessions
- Meet with the professor at least every other week
- Meet with supervisor assistants as necessary
Additional administrative duties
- Complete and submit all required paperwork on time
- Submit time sheets on time and keep track of hours accurately
- Maintain a professional attitude at all times
- Notify supervisor and students in advance if you need to reschedule or cancel sessions
$12.50 per hour
If you are interested in applying to be an EPIC Peer Leader, print out and complete this application and return it to Tina Vaughan in the Academic Support Center, or call 707-476-4165.