Fortuna Fire Resident - Internship Program
FIREFIGHTER RESIDENT/INTERNSHIP PROGRAMS - UNPAID - ACCOMMODATIONS INCLUDED
The resident and intern programs are very similar with the exception of the Intern program as described really caters towards students that have completed or are in the process of completing an actual fire academy and need the internship (12 months of fire experience) to achieve their State Firefighter Certificate. Any resident could certainly pursue this program as an Internship as needed through their college however; we primarily provide education and training in the fields of EMS and Fire Service which can be a great second choice career path for some as well. We currently have availability for four residents and will be expanding that number in the future.
Minimum Qualifications for Acceptance into the Fortuna Volunteer Resident and Internship Programs Minimum Qualifications (for both programs):
1. Be at least 18 years of age.
2. Possess a high school diploma or GED equivalent.
3. Possess a valid California driver’s license and have a clean driving history.
4. Consent to, and pass, a qualifying Department of Justice (DOJ) and Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) background check.
5. Consent to, and pass, a comprehensive drug screening.
6. Completed or currently enrolled/attending an accredited Firefighter I Academy. (Internship)
7. Currently enrolled or planning to enroll in college courses (minimum of 6 credits) (Resident Program)
Shift and Volunteer Response Requirements
In return for accomodations, Volunteer Interns and Residents are required to pull a minimum of four 12 hour shifts per week; this number may be negotiable based on school and/ or work load at the discretion of the Fire Captain in charge of staffing. Shifts can be filled in any manner that will fit the Intern or Residents work or school schedule. Shifts are primarily 12 hour shifts with the “A” shift running from 06:00 to 18:00 and the “B” shift running from 18:00 to 06:00.
For more information see attached or contact Fortuna Volunteer Fire Department / Fortuna Fire Protection District @ 707-725-5021