Dates: October 6 - 27, 2020
Times: 9:00am - 12:00pm
Location: Online – Login information will be provided closer to the workshop date.
- A reliable computer with a working webcam and microphone.
- Reliable Internet connection and Zoom reception for class meeting.
Instructor: April Klingonsmith
The Emerging Leaders Institute is composed of a 4-week online program with one Zoom class meeting per week. Students will be awarded a Certificate of Participation upon completion of all 4 weeks of the program.
The program is designed to teach new and emerging leaders how to become effective and confident at leading diverse teams during the time of Covid. Participants will learn valuable and current information relevant for modern leaders and spend time in each class session conducting and analyzing self-assessments related to the class leadership topic. The program provides an opportunity for personal leadership exploration, improving personal leadership skills, and supporting one another in making positive change. The program is designed to be interactive, engaging, and applicable to everyday life.
Week 1: Leadership Essentials - Leadership During Covid focus
Leadership Essentials has a Leadership During Covid emphasis. The first week teaches new and emerging leaders the essential skills and techniques needed to lead effectively in the workplace and in life during the Covid-19 pandemic. There is a focus on improving personal leadership skills through self-assessment and analysis. Participants learn about leadership traits and responsibilities of modern leaders and apply this information to real life. Throughout the class, attention is brought to effectively leading through the fog of the Covid-19 Pandemic. Leadership Essentials is in the first week and sets the foundation for future weeks.
The purpose of Leadership Essentials- Leadership During Covid is to:
- Learn about the importance, qualities, and responsibilities of effective leaders and use this information to improve personal leadership skills.
- Improve personal leadership skills through self-analysis, reflection, and discussion with classmates and instructor.
- Learn strategies and resources to lead effectively amid Covid and how to lead teams into a post-pandemic world
Week 2: Leading with Empathy - Leadership During Covid focus
Leading with Empathy emphasizes Leadership During Covid. It prepares new and emerging leaders to effectively practice empathetic leadership in an equitable and inclusive way during the pandemic. This week focuses on understanding empathy and emotional intelligence and participants find ways to cultivate more empathy in their workplaces and lives. The class allows time for self-assessment and analysis in order to improve personal leadership skills. Participants learn ways to manage and motivate team members and help them to cope and thrive during Coronavirus.
The purpose of Leading with Empathy - Leadership During Covid is to:
- Understand empathy and emotional intelligence: why it’s important in leadership, the role it plays in leadership, and methods for improvement.
- Take empathy and emotional intelligence self-assessments and analyze results to learn about yourself to improve your leadership skills.
- Learn ways to effectively lead through Covid-19 by finding ways to manage and motivate your team with empathy and how to help your team members cope and thrive during the crisis.
Week 3: Effective Leadership Communication - Leadership During Covid focus
Effective Leadership Communication has a Leadership During Covid emphasis. This week prepares new and emerging leaders to communicate more clearly and effectively in the workplace and in life. Participants learn what their communication style is and how to improve their communication skills with diverse audiences. The course examines concepts of employee engagement and teaches ways to motivate and inspire teammates. Participants learn about different cultures of different generations and analyze how to manage communication and generation gaps within their places of work and life.
The purpose of Communication for Leaders- Leadership During Covid is to:
- Learn effective and clear communication techniques and understand the essential role it plays in the workplace and in life.
- Take a communication style self-assessment and analyze results.
- Learn how to engage team members in order to motivate and inspire them to perform their best.
- Learn about the characteristics of generations and how to communicate with people who were born in a different generation than you.
Week 4: Work-Life Leadership Balance - Leadership During Covid
Work-Life Leadership Balance emphasizes leadership during the Covid pandemic. Learn high-performance leadership strategies to help you remain focused and clear so you can show up as your best self and be the leader who conveys strength and confidence. This week assists participants in learning the importance and components of work-life balance and self-care. Stress-management, time-management, and goal setting techniques are incorporated into the course along with conducting self-assessments and analysis.
The purpose of Work-Life Leadership Balance—Leadership During Covid is to:
- Understand the importance and components of work-life balance and strategies of effective leaders to become more balanced in the workplace and in life.
- Explore stress-management and time-management by learning about health effects, improvement techniques, and conducting self-assessments with analysis.
- Practice goal setting by making a plan to change a habit that no longer serves you.