Frequently Asked Questions
What is College of the Redwoods Community Education?
Community Education department partners with the community to contribute to the economic vitality of the region, provides workforce training to support local employers' needs, and provides lifelong learning opportunities within the District. Community Education courses are not-for-credit classes offered in addition to the College’s academic program. The program is a self-supporting entity of College of the Redwoods. The courses are presented for your lifelong learning and enjoyment.
What are not-for-credit classes?
A not-for-credit class is a vocational or certificate based training. There are no prerequisites required. Students do not receive college credits for taking these classes.
Can I apply for financial aid for Community Education classes?
You can seek funding through the state or county (The Job Market or The Department of Rehabilitation). Community Education classes do not qualify students for FAFSA, Pell Grant or the BOG fee waiver. Payment plans are available through a partner agency for classes with a cost of $500 or more.
How do I sign up for Community Education classes?
- Register in person by coming to 525 D Street Eureka, CA 95501.
- Print out a registration form and send it to our office via email, fax or mail.
- Call (707) 476-4500 and register by phone.
Registrations will be taken up to the first day of class if there are still seats available. Early enrollment is preferred to ensure the class meets the minimum enrollment requirement. All registrations are on a first-come, first-served basis. Paying for the class is the only way reserve your seat. We accept cash, check, MasterCard, VISA, or Discover.
What are Community Education's office hours?
Monday - Friday
9:00a.m. - 4:00p.m.
Where do I park?
Click the links below for maps.
- Community Education is located at 525 D Street in downtown Eureka.
- Please be aware that there is 2-hour metered parking in downtown Eureka from 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- You will get a tickets if you are parked on the street more than 2 hours.
- CR has a designated parking lot located between D St. and C St. off of 6th. Please park in reserved numbers 20 - 37 only.
- There is a $2 parking fee Monday - Friday 8:00a.m. - 10:00p.m.
- Parking is free on Saturday and Sunday.
- For more information about parking on main campus please visit http://www.redwoods.edu/Parking
Please be aware of class location before signing up for the class. If your class is not being held at either of the locations listed above please call (707) 476-4500 for more information. Office hours are Monday - Friday 9:00a.m. - 4:00p.m.
Does Community Education offer online classes?
Community Education does not offer online classes.
What is the refund policy?
Click here to view the refund policy.
How do I request a certificate?
Copies of certificates issued for Community Education classes can be requested by calling (707) 476-4500. There is a $5.00 processing fee per certificate copy requested. Re-prints of original certificates issued for Community Education classes can be requested as well. There is a $25.00 processing fee per original certificate requested. For certificates issued by other organizations, the processing fee for an original certificate may be more.
How do I become an instructor for Community Education?
Complete a Community Education Course Proposal Form and turn it in along with a current resume to the appropriate Community Education office by mail to: CR Community Education 525 D Street, Eureka, CA 95501. Download the Course Proposal Form and review the Community Education Instructor Handbook.
Please visit the Information for Instructors page for more information.