Are you looking for a part-time teaching position?
The Community Education Department at College of the Redwoods has a mission to serve the educational needs of Humboldt and Del Norte Counties. We are dedicated to providing excellent programming. We want to have some of the best instructors and course offerings found anywhere. If you are interested in being a part of this fun-loving team, complete the Course Proposal Form and email or mail to the Community Education office at 525 D Street, Eureka, CA 95501.
All you need is a passion for a subject, expertise or skill in that area, and a desire to share that knowledge with others. A sense of humor, as well as good communication and people skills are important. You must be flexible and have a desire to educate people of all ages, sexes, abilities and cultural backgrounds. If this sounds like you, please contact us! All proposals will be reviewed by the Community Education office.
Community Education is for everyone! Our Department currently serves many different locations throughout Humboldt and Del Norte Counties including Eureka, Garberville, Crescent City, Hoopa and more. Most of our students range from 16-85.
Upon completion of all paperwork, the Community Education office will work with the instructor on the assignment of class dates and times. Courses are offered based on minimum enrollment, and availability of instructional requirements (such as classrooms, equipment, supplies, qualified instructor) to insure optimal instructional conditions.
Community Education courses are formatted to be user-friendly to the general public. They tend to be different from traditional education in:
- Cost: Most people are more willing to spend smaller fees for several segments of a course rather than paying a larger, one-time fee.
- Time-Commitment: Many courses tend to be shorter, meet less often and have more flexibility to accommodate busy schedules. Most adults are unable to commit to long-term, frequently met courses and seem to be more willing to explore new interest that do not make big demands on time.
Pay can vary greatly based on level of expertise and training required, type of course and more. Generally, pay rates for instruction will be per class. You will need to discuss pay with the Director, Community Education.
- Newspaper Ads: Periodically Community Education will run display ads in local newspapers and magazines
- Social Media: Facebook, Constant Contact, twitter, Lost Coast Outpost, craigslist.org, KHSU, KMUD, and many others.
- Flyers: Flyers are available in our lobbies, they are posted at the CR Main Campus, around the community, and instructors can be provided copies so that they are able to distribute to people they know as well.
How to get started?
We invite you to complete a Community Education Course Proposal Form and return it along with a current resume to the appropriate Community Education office by mail to: CR Community Education 525 D Street, Eureka, CA 95501.
Also, review the Community Education Instructor Handbook for more information.
Here are some examples of Community Education classes we are looking for
- History of Humboldt
- How to Play Guitar
- Screen Writing
- Organizing your life
- Lunch-time Yoga
- Backyard Chickens
- Belly Dancing
- Intro to Blogging
- Rebuilding your credit
- Beginning Excel
- Beginning Basic Computers
- Conversational French 1, 2, 3
- Web Design
- Using your iPad, iPhone
- Social Media for Beginners
These are just examples. We are open to new suggestions!
Community Education Instructor Handbook
Community Education Course Proposal