Contact Us

Email Us Here

Or send us an email at

Student Services Building
Please use the eForms platform to submit forms to the financial aid office.

Del Norte
Mon.-Fri. 8am-5pm
By appointment. 707.465.2300 Forms can be turned in at the drop-box located in the Counseling area.

Mon.-Fri. 8am-6pm
Appointments encouraged.

Direct Loan Request Process

Loan Request Dates & Deadlines

Fall 2019/Spring 2020 Loans: Available
Fall 2019 Only Loan: Available
Spring 2020 Only Loan: Available

Summer 2020 Loan: Not Available


Fall 2019 Loans Due: Nov. 29, 2019
Spring Only and/or Fall2019/Spring 2020 Loans Due: April 24, 2020
Summer 2020 Loans Due: TBA

WARNING: As of 08/12/19 loan processing is currently impacted due the volume of loan requests received, loans are being processed as quickly as possible.Your loan request could be delayed if you are not meeting SAP, not enrolled in at least 6 units, or don't have a completed financial aid file. Loans will not disburse if you do not have an MPN and Entrance Loan Counseling completed (Steps 2 & 3). First time loan borrowers are on a federally mandated 30 day delay (Disb. Dates: 09/27/2019 & 02/28/2020). Loans takes 4-6 weeks to process, once a loan has been processed it will be scheduled on the next available disbursement date.



Completion of the 2019-20 Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and all additional requested documents is required in order to assess eligibility for a Direct Student Loan. Carefully review the loan request steps as outlined below (click on the links to access required forms or websites).

Your responsibilities:

You are responsible for meeting applicable deadlines, reading all loan information and ensuring you have completed all required steps. Late or incomplete loan forms will not be processed and may be returned to you. This includes inaccurate or incomplete information submitted to financial aid office, or any other required forms submitted as part of the loan request process. This includes ensuring that you have completed the FAFSA application and all additional requested documents PRIOR to the Loan Request deadlines listed above.

Submission options:




Borrow only when absolutely necessary. Students who are planning to transfer should be aware that loans are generally the largest portion of a financial aid package at four year colleges. Consider your total educational debt before borrowing at College of the Redwoods.


Student loan disbursements for first-time borrowers will be made no earlier than 30 days after the first day of the term. Please see our disbursement schedule for when loans disburse, all loans have a minimum of two disbursement dates if originated before the midterm date.

Eligibilty Requirements:

Loan appeal process:

Students who have reached a considerable amount of loan debt in relation to the federal loan limits, including the current requested amount and/or students who have previously defaulted on a student loan, may need to submit a direct loan appeal form. Students must submit a direct loan application first. If requested to submit a direct loan appeal form a student will be notified via student email with the link to that document.

Student Loans Can Be Declined/Reduced:

Financial Aid staff may use professional judgment to decline or reduce the loan requested for students at risk to default on a case-by-case basis per HEA Sec. 479(A)(c), 34 CFR 685.301(a)(8), DCL GEN-11-07 . In circumstances when professional judgment is used, a written explanation will be provided to the student

Additional Resources:

The following are resources to answering required questions on your Loan Change Forms and Loan Appeal Forms, these resources can also be found on the forms.

  • We highly recommend you complete a personal budget/worksheet to review your current debt level and understand how you are spending your money. Loans are fairly easy to get, but difficult to repay. We want to be sure you are well-informed so you only take out loans if absolutely necessary. This will help you figure out the appropriate amount you need to borrow.
  • For students with prior student loan debt, please visit or and use your FSA ID and Password to login. You will be able to obtain your prior loan debt and the name of your loan servicer(s). Accurate information about your prior loan debt and who your loan servicer(s) are required on loan change forms & loan appeals and should be known prior to submitting your loan change.
  • Please use the loan payment calculator to calculate your estimated loan payments, the loan amount should include your prior loan debt and the new amount you are requesting if you are a previous borrower.

If you have questions about the loan process, need submission assistance or need help with understanding your prior loan debt, please contact the financial literacy advisor at 707-476-4183 or email the financial aid office at:




Step 1: Complete the 2019/20 FAFSA application process.
  • Submit any follow-up documents that are requested by the financial aid office. You will receive a student email notice when your Financial Aid file review is complete.
  • Haven't submitted a FAFSA? Apply here:
  • Note: The email subject heading will be: Financial Aid Award Notification or Financial Aid Eligibility Notification.
Step 2: Submit a Loan Agreement (Master Promissory Note)
  • Complete online at
  • Make sure the MPN is for a Subsidized/Unsubsidized Loan for Undergraduates
  • Only needs to be submitted once, unless your MPN has expired (good for 10 years).
  • Note: If you completed an MPN at a previous institution you will need to login to and resubmit the MPN to College of the Redwoods. (Directions)
Step 3: Complete Entrance Counseling
  • Complete session online at
  • Only needs to be completed once.
  • Note: If you completed entrance counseling at a previous institution you will need to login to and resend your completed entrance counseling to College of the Redwoods by using the "Notify Additional School" function. (Directions)
Step 4: Submit a Loan Request through myFinAid

*We highly recommend you complete a personal budget/worksheet to review your current debt level and understand how you are spending your money. Loans are fairly easy to get, but difficult to repay. We want to be sure you are well-informed so you only take out loans if absolutely necessary.



Financial Aid Staff will review your Direct Loan Request Form to determine your eligibility. The loan certification process may take from 4-6 weeks, or longer depending on when you submit your request, from your loan submission date (as long as all required steps have been completed). If you have any questions about your loan request, want to make a change to your original request, or need to make an appointment to come in and talk with the Financial Literacy Specialist, please call (707) 476-4183.

After the loan certification, students will receive an award notification at through they email account, students can check myFinAid for detailed award information. Students will also receive an award letter in the mail detailing loan amount, disbursment dates and loan period, please make sure your address is updated in Webadvisor.

Exit Loan Counseling:

Students are required to complete Exit Loan Counseling BEFORE they graduate, withdraw, or drop below 6 units. Students will receive an email towards the end of each semester about completing exit loan counseling to both their personal and student email. For students who do not have a personal email on file, they will recieve exit loan counseling documents in the mail. To complete Exit Loan Counseling please go to: You will need to log in with your FSA ID and Password and then select "complete exit counseling."

Options to Complete Exit Loan Counseling:

  • Online at, you will need to use your FSA ID and Password
  • In Person, workshops are available at the end of the semester
  • Via US Mail, you will need to request the paper work and mail back a form to CR


Submitted a Loan Request but need to change the amount or cancel the loan?

For students who have submitted a loan request through myFinAid and have been awarded a student loan, they can submit to have a loan changed or canceled. Forms are available through our eForms platform, please see the tutorial for login instructions.

  • Loan Change Form
    • Students can submit a loan change form to increase or decrease their student loan amount. Loan change processing can take 2-4 weeks to process, do not submit multiple loan change forms as it will delay the processing as the multiple submissions will need to be sorted. If you submitted a loan change form but made a mistake, please contact Financial Aid.
  • Cancellation Form
    • Students can submit a financial aid cancellation form and indicate what terms and what award they would like to cancel. Only undisbursed loan funds can be cancelled, if your loan has disbursed and you wish to return the funds, please return your funds to your assigned loan servicer. Don't know who your loan servicer is? Please log into or contact the financial aid office.


Have your read this entire page? Clicked on ALL Links? Still have questions? Please Contact Us: | | 707-476-4183 | 707-476-4182