Honors Program

Contact Us

Angela Stewart


Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply to get into the program?

Students apply to get into the program the semester before they are admitted. As soon as you meet the minimum criteria (see the "How to Apply" section of the site), pick up an application form and complete it. If you are accepted into the program, you will be admitted sometime later in the semester so that you can register for the following semester's Honors Seminar courses. Application deadlines typically fall in the 9th or 10th week of each semester. If you are not accepted into the program, you are always welcome to reapply the following semester for admission to the program. Application forms are available in the Honors Office, located in the LRC building, and also on this website.

I have some questions about the Program. Whom do I contact?

Dr. Justine M. Shaw - 707-476-4322 - justine-shaw@redwoods.edu

Dr. Dana Maher- 707-476-4539 - dana-maher@redwoods.edu

I am not yet in the Honors Program, but am thinking about applying. Can I take an Honors course to see what it is like?

Yes. When available, you may enroll in one of the Honors Seminar courses (these are listed under "Curriculum" each semester) to experience the level of academic rigor and intellectual engagement that Honors Seminar Courses offer. To enroll in one of these courses if you are not in the Program, you need to contact one of the Honors Program Co-Coordinators. Due to budgetary restraints statewide, we have been unable to offer these kinds of classes at this time. Unfortunately, students who are not officially in the Honors Program may NOT take Honors Courses through the contract system.

What special transfer benefits are Honors Students eligible for?

Most Honors classes satisfy G.E. requirements and transfer to UC and CSU campuses, but in addition, Honors students are eligible for several special transfer benefits at participating universities. CR's Honors Program has transfer agreements with a number of notable four-year colleges, and each of those agreements is different. In some cases benefits include guaranteed acceptance, priority registration, and guaranteed housing; in other cases, scholarships and transfer directly into the university's Honors Program are offered. Please consult the Honors Transfer Council of California's website for specific transfer information.

How many Honors units do I need to be eligible for these benefits?

Although you must complete 15 units of Honors courses to have your transcript stamped with "Honors Program Scholar" and to be eligible for special transfer benefits, your DO NOT have complete 15 units to reap the benefits of the Honors Program.  Even one Honors course on your transcript identifies you as interested in pursuing a challenging education, not in just getting by.

I want to transfer to a university and need some assistance. Whom do I contact?

Contact our Counseling & Advising Department.

What do I need to do to stay in the program?

High school students need a 3.5 cumulative GPA to enter the program and all students need to maintain a 3.3 GPA for courses taken at College of the Redwoods to remain in the program. If your cumulative GPA falls below 3.3, you will be allowed one semester to remain in Honors (at probationary status) while you work on getting your GPA back up to at least the minimum requirement. You also need to take at least 3 units of Honors coursework credit each semester to stay in the program. If, for whatever reason, you are unable to take 3 units of Honors credit one semester, you need to fill out a "Sabbatical Request" form and deliver it to one of the Honors co-coordinators.

Can I receive Honors credit for courses that I take online?

No. Our transfer agreements specifically state that Honors credit cannot be granted for on-line coursework.

How would I be recognized as an Honors Scholar?

Contact one of the Honors co-coordinators for more information.

What happens if I am unable to take an honors course some semester?

Fill out an "Honors Sabbatical Request" form and deliver it to one of the Honors Program co-coordinators. This will hold your place in the program for one semester so that you may return again to the program the subsequent semester without need of re-applying (provided you have maintained the required GPA). If you do not enroll in an honors course and do not submit a sabbatical form, then it's assumed that you do not intend to stay in the program and your name will be dropped from the Honors student list.

It is the policy of College of the Redwoods not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, disability, age, or sexual orientation in its educational programs and its employment practices. Read Full Policy Here

Translate this page

  2021 College of the Redwoods