Residence Halls

Frequently Asked Questions

How far away is nearest town?
The nearest town is Eureka, which is about 7 miles away from campus.

Where is the nearest airport?

The nearest commercial airport is located in McKinleyville (airport code ACV), which is about 25 miles north of campus.

Do I need a car? Is there public transportation?
No, you don't need a car, but it is convenient. About 50% of residents have cars so chances are that you will know someone with a car. There is also public transportation that runs only on the weekdays. If you are planning to work off campus it is better to have a car.

Where do I park my car?
The residence halls have two parking lots for residence use only. You will need to purchase a parking permit from the Security Office. For more information regarding parking permits, please call the Security Office at 707 476-4112.

How many people are in the residence halls?
We have spaces for about 150-160 residents.

Are the rooms co-ed?
The rooms and the quads are not co-ed, but the floors are. This means a different gender could live next door or across the hall from you.

Are there any single rooms?
In an effort to serve the largest number of College of the Redwoods students possible, we attempt to fill all spots in our halls.  Single rooms are considered by the Housing Director on a case by case basis.  Any student granted single occupancy will be required to pay double the cost of housing. If a student has any questions regarding a single room for their term here, they should call the Housing office to discuss their circumstances in more detail at 707-476-4294.

What if my roommate and I don't get along?
First you and your roommate are asked to meet with a staff member to work out the issue. Secondly, you or your roommate may be relocated to another room. No room changes will be made until after the second week of the semester. Excessive room changes may lead to additional cleaning fees.

Where do I do my laundry?
There are two laundry facilities in the residence halls, one in each building. This does not mean that one hall can't do laundry in the other hall, all laundry facilities are for all residents.

If I change my mind can leave the Residence Halls? Can I stay in the Residence Halls for one semester?
Contracts are available for the full year or for individual semesters. In either case, you are obligated for the full term of the contract that you sign. The only way to be released from your contract is if after a review of the individual circumstances for any departing student the Director of Residential Life or his/her designee has determined that the student is leaving school and has verifiable extenuating circumstances. Please know that if you cancel your contract once the residence halls have opened, you will be subject to a cancellation fee. Without being released, you are fully obligated to your contract.

Do I have to check in when I want to come and go?
Residents are free to come and go from the residence halls without checking in.