April 7, 2019

Policy Updates  
Awarding Credit to Veterans: AP 4237

A new policy recently took effect to support veteran students at CR and promote their success! The policy allows veterans at College of the Redwoods to be awarded up to 30 units for prior military education, training, and services. To take advantage of this new policy, veterans at College of the Redwoods need to provide official documentation of course designations and descriptions of military education, training, and service completed by service members during their contract term(s) of service with the United States Military. Documents may include

  •          DD-214 Certificate of Release/Discharge from active duty military service.
  •          Joint Services Transcript (JST).
  •          American Council on Education (ACE) transcript.
  •          Community College of the Air Force (CCAF) transcript.
  •          Defense Activity for Non-traditional Education Support (DANTES) / College Level Exam Program (CLEP) exam results.

AP 4237 describes the documentation submission and course articulation process.

Excused Withdraw (EW)

Students can now petition for an EW grade. 

What is an EW grade and how would a student obtain the grade?
Students who have experienced extenuating circumstances can complete & submit the Excused Withdrawal Petition to request an EW grade instead of the current Withdrawal (W) or non-passing (D, F & NP) grades. Supporting documentation is required. The Excused Withdrawal Petition must be submitted to the Admissions and Records Office no more than one year after to the term in question. The petition can be retrieved from the Admissions and Records Forms webpage. Upon receipt, the Admissions and Records Office will review the Excused Withdrawal Petition and send decision notifications to the student’s CR Email address within 2 weeks.

What are the benefits of the EW grade?

EW grades do not count toward the permitted number of allowable course repetitions.

EW grades do not count in progress probation or dismissal calculations.

NOTE: The EW grade does not help ease any potential financial aid impacts for the student nor will it provide any tuition or fee reimbursement.

What are the acceptable reasons for receiving the EW grade?

An EW is acceptable when a student withdraws from a course(s) due to reasons beyond their control, which include but are not limited to, the following:

  •          Job transfer outside the geographical region;
  •          Illness in the family where the student is the primary caregiver;
  •          An incarcerated student in a California State Prison or County Jail is released from custody or involuntarily transferred before the end of the term (In the case of an incarcerated student, an excused withdrawal cannot be applied if the failure to complete the course(s) was the result of a student's behavioral violation or if the student requested and was granted a mid-semester transfer);
  •          The student is the subject of an immigration action;
  •          Death of an immediate family member;
  •          Chronic or acute illness;
  •          Verifiable accidents; or
  •          Natural disasters directly affecting the student.

    Fast Fact

    Students attending CR



    Veterans/Active duty: 127

    Veterans/Active duty: 135

    Dependents of Veterans: 62

    Dependents of Veterans: 56


    Course success rates

    Veterans: 72%

    Non-Veterans: 72%

    Earned 9+ Career Education Units

    Veterans: 28%

    Non-Veterans: 10%

Theme picker

It is the policy of College of the Redwoods not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, disability, age, or sexual orientation in its educational programs and its employment practices. Read Full Policy Here

Translate this page

  2021 College of the Redwoods