Related Links


  • Eureka
    Student Services Building
    9:00am - 4:00pm
    (707) 476-4200 Voice
    (707) 476-4406 FAX
    Email Us
  • Del Norte
    9:00am - 4:00pm

    (707) 465-2300
  • Klamath-Trinity
    9:00am - 4:00pm

    (530) 625-4821


Residency status is determined by the Admissions and Records Office

In accordance with California State laws, the Admissions and Records Office at College of the Redwoods will determine each student's residency status upon receipt of their admissions application. More broadly, a student's residency status will be determined as either a resident or a nonresident of California. Students are notified about their residency status via their CR student Email accounts after their admissions application has been processed. 

Residency status directly affects your cost to attend College of the Redwoods
Please visit our Tuition and Fees page for current tuition and fees for residents and nonresidents.

View the 2020/2021 Cost of Attendance for information about the total estimated costs.

Students can request a re-evaluation of their current nonresident status
Students deemed nonresidents of California may request a re-evaluation of their residency status by submitting a Residency Reclassification Request, a California Nonresident Tuition Exemption or an Oregon Exchange Program Application, see below for more information.
Students must request a re-evaluation of their nonresident status before the semester ends however, 
it is strongly recommended to request a re-evaluation at least three weeks before the semester begins. 

Students who have resided in California for at least 366 days, or one year and one day, prior to the start of the semester may qualify to have their nonresident status reclassified as a resident of California by submitting the required Residency Reclassification Request (link provided below) and all supporting documentation to the Admissions and Records Office. 

To apply, submit one of the completed Residency Reclassification Requests, and supporting documentation, to CR's Admissions and Records Office:

Students At Least 19 Years of Age OR Students Under 19 Years of Age 


Acceptable Evidence of Intent

  • CA driver's license or ID card
  • Marriage license/divorce papers issued from CA
  • Military Home of Record CA (DD214)
  • Registered to vote in CA
  • Licensing from CA for professional practice
  • Maintaining active checking/savings accounts in CA banks
  • CA vehicle registration
  • Federal and CA State taxes Showing CA address
  • Possession of hunting/fishing license as a CA resident

Acceptable Evidence of Physical Presence

  • Active resident membership in CA service or social club
  • Maintaining business or employment in CA
  • Recipient of CA State services
  • Selective service registration
  • Official CA high school transcripts (not college)
  • CA Utility bills (electricity, phone, water)
  • Ownership or rental agreement of CA residential property as primary residence

The 3 documents you submit must be dated 1 year and 1 day prior to the start of the semester through the present date. The documents must adequately show you have resided in California for the entire year and 1 day prior to the semester. Additional documentation may be requested if your documents do not sufficiently prove this.

California nonresident tuition exemptions allow qualified students to be exempted from nonresident tuition. Instead, qualified students will pay California resident registration fees. Eligibility criteria as well as certain limitations may apply.


Any student, including citizens, permanent residents, and undocumented individuals, who meets the criteria specified below may be eligible for the AB540 California Nonresident Tuition Exemption. Students with a nonimmigrant visa status holding F or B visas do not qualify for this exemption. However, students who have been granted T or U visa status may be eligible. Please see the AB540 Information Flyer for more information.

1. Attended a California high school (or combination of high school, adult school and community college) for at least 3 years AND;

2. Graduated from a California high school (or the equivalent), OR completed an associate's degree from a California Community College, OR completed the minimum requirements at a California Community College to transfer to the California State University or University of California.

To apply, submit the completed AB540 California Nonresident Tuition Exemption to CR's Admissions and Records Office.


California Community College students granted a special immigrant visa under Section 1244 of Public Law 110-181 or under Public Law 109-163, or is a refugee admitted to the United States under Section 1157 of Title 8 of the United States Code, may be eligible for the AB343 California Nonresident Tuition Exemption if they settled in California upon entering the United States. The exemption shall expire and is not to exceed one year after issuance. 

To apply, submit the completed AB343 Nonresident Tuition Exemption to CR's Admissions and Records Office.

College of the Redwoods offers reciprocity agreements that allow eligible Oregon residents to attend CR, and eligible California residents to attend Southern Oregon University (SOU) or Oregon Institute of Technology (OIT), at a reduced nonresident tuition rate.

If you have any questions regarding the Oregon Exchange Program, please contact:

Ashley Vandal, Student Services Specialist, (707) 476-4268 &

Oregon to California

Minimum GPA Requirement:

SOU: 2.25 College, 2.00 High School

OIT:   2.00 College, 2.50 High School

Application Process:

1. Apply to College of the Redwoods

2. Complete the reciprocity agreement with SOU or OIT

3. Send your official transcripts to CR (high school or college)

California to Oregon

Minimum Unit Requirement:

SOU: 60 cumulative semester units

OIT:   60 cumulative semester units for majors that require lower division General Education*

*For majors that do not have acceptable transfer General Education, or for highly impacted programs, a student is eligible to attend OIT without completing a minimum number of units at CR. Students are encouraged to contact OIT for information regarding these programs.

Minimum GPA Requirement:

SOU: 2.25 College

OIT:   2.00 College, 2.50 High School

Application Process:

1. Submit the completed Oregon Exchange Program Application to CR's Admissions and Records Office.

2. Apply for the Oregon institution of your choice: Southern Oregon University or Oregon Institute of Technology

3. Send your official transcripts from College of the Redwoods, and your high school if less than 60 units are completed at CR, to the Oregon institution you applied to.

It is the policy of College of the Redwoods not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability or age in its educational programs and its employment practices.

Translate this page

  2021 College of the Redwoods