Related Links
Contact us
  • Eureka
    Student Services Building
    Friday 11am-3pm
    707.476.4200 Voice
    707.476.4406 FAX
    Email Us
  • Del Norte
  • Klamath-Trinity


California Residence Requirements

In accordance with the California Education Code, upon your admission to College of the Redwoods, or re-admission after an absence of 2 or more semesters, we will classify you as a resident or nonresident of California. This affects how much you pay per unit.

Request for Residency Reclassification      

To request a change in status from non-resident to resident, submit a 19 or Older Residency Reclassification Packet  or Residency Reclassification Request Packet Under 19,  to the Admissions and Records office.  To be considered a legal resident of California, you must prove intent to make California your permanent home, as well as prove physical presence in California for one year and one day prior to the start of the semester for which you are applying for residency.  The Residency Reclassification Request requires you to provide 3 of the following documents (one document from each group and a third document from either group):

Acceptable Evidence of Intent

  • CA driver’s license or ID card
  • Marriage license/divorce papers issued from CA
  • Military Home of Record CA (DD214)
  • Registered to vote in CA
  • Licensing from CA for professional practice
  • Maintaining active checking/savings accounts in CA banks
  • CA vehicle registration
  • Federal and CA State taxes Showing CA address
  • Possession of hunting/fishing license as a CA resident

 Acceptable Evidence of Physical Presence

  • Active resident membership in CA service or social club
  • Maintaining business or employment in CA
  • Recipient of CA State services
  • Selective service registration
  • Official CA high school transcripts (not college)
  • CA Utility bills (electricity, phone, water)
  • Ownership or rental agreement of CA residential property as primary residence

 The 3 documents you submit must be dated one year and one day prior to the start of the semester through the present date.  The documents must adequately show you have resided in California for the entire year and a day prior to the semester.  Additional documentation may be requested if your documents do not sufficiently prove this. 

**Note:  Your residency status will not be changed unless you must request it, in writing, by submitting the Residency Reclassification Request. We cannot process a retroactive change of status once a semester ends.

California Nonresident Tuition Exemption – AB540/2000

Some students may qualify for the AB 540/2000 waiver.  This waiver entitles qualified students to have their non-resident fees waived.  

In accordance with Assembly Bill 540, any student, other than a nonimmigrant alien, who meets all of the following requirements, shall be exempt from paying nonresident tuition at the California Community Colleges:

  • The student mush have attended a high school (private or public) in California for three or more years
  • The student must have graduated from a California high school or attained the equivalent prior to the start of the term (e.g. passing the GED or California High School Proficiency exam)
  • An alien student who is without lawful immigration status must file an affidavit with the college stating that he or she has filed an application to legalize his/her immigration status, or will file an application as soon as he/she is eligible to do so. You may obtain the required form, “Student Affidavit for Exemption from Nonresident Tuition” from the Admissions Office.
  • Students who are nonimmigrant (for example, F or B visas, etc.) are not eligible for this exemption.
  • Nonresident students meeting the criteria will be exempt from the payment of nonresident tuition and will be classified as California residents.