Employers use resumes as a way to quickly screen potential applicants
selecting only the individuals they feel are right for the position, so
making sure your resume is in tip-top shape is absolutely vital.
Check out our online resources, and/or make an appointment with our Career Center staff
to create or update your resume!
- Personal Data: Name, e-mail, contact phone number and address if available. Your name should be the biggest item on the page.
- Objective: (Optional) State either the specific job or the broader occupational field you want and how your background prepares you.
- Education: You may also include GPA, research or class projects, educational honors or related coursework.
- Experience: Use multiple, relevant categorical experience section where possible. Describe duties with skill/action words and highlight accomplishments.
- Special Qualifications: Emphasize skills, activities or interests that might appeal to your targeted employers.
- Professional Development, Community Service, Memberships, Leadership Experience, Additional Experience, International Travel: Pick categories relevant to your employers.
- Activities: Highlight relevant honors, leadership, school activities, and hobbies.
- (optional) References: (List at least 3) List name,job title, organization, address, phone number, and email of faculty, employers or advisors. Seek permission first.