Del Norte Campus
Dates: March 15 - 19, 2021
Days: Monday - Friday
Time: 8:30am - 5:00pm
Class Limit: 34
Location: CR Del Norte Campus 883 W. Washington Blvd. Crescent City, CA 95531
Instructor: Zachary Freiwald
This one week class is on basic firefighting techniques.
Students will learn:
- How to use basic firefighting tools
- Fire behavior and Weather
- What the LCES (Lookouts, Communications, Escape Routes, and Safety Zones) system is and how it relates to the Standard Firefighting Orders and Watch Out Situations.
- Construct a fire line to required standards using various methods.
- Strengthen, reinforce, and use holding actions on a fire line.
- Extinguish the fire with or without the use of water.
- Complete assigned tasks in a safe and efficient manner.
- Factors in a particular wildfire environment which could impact safety.
Students will receive the following certificates:
L180 - Human Factors in the Wildland Fire Service
S190- Introduction to Wild Fire Behavior
S130 - Firefighter Training
Students will also receive all training needed for applying to the federal government as a firefighter. Additional homework assignments will include IS-700 ( Introduction to National Incident Management System) and ICS-100 (Introduction to Incident Command System).
Students 15 years old and older are encouraged to attend. However, anyone under 18 participating in the course must complete the Activity Waiver Form and a parent or guardian must sign.
This class will be conducted in person. The class will involve hands-on physical contact as part of scenario practice, skills training, and skills competency verification. As of this publication, the following precautions will be in place:
- Health screening:
- Student should not attend class if they are sick.
- Further screening may include temperature checks and symptom questionnaires.
- Classroom hygiene
- Students will practice appropriate hand washing and/or hand sanitizing.
- Students will be reminded to avoid touching their eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Surfaces and equipment will be sanitized after use.
- Social Distancing will be required,
- When feasible, physical distancing of 6 feet will be practiced.
- Personal protective equipment
- Students will wear personal protective equipment (gloves, masks, face shields) when performing medical scenarios or practicing skills.
- Please bring your own mask
- Students will be issued a face shield to keep
- The instructor and students will be expected to model their commitment to quality medical care by supporting these strategies.