Resource Center

Related links
Contact Us

Eureka Campus
Resource Center and Pantry



Monday, Wednesday, Thursday

or by appointment


What is CalFresh?

CalFresh (formerly known as food stamps) is a supplemental nutrition assistance program that helps households and families buy the food they need for good health. CalFresh dollars can help people incorporate healthy foods like fruits and vegetables into their diets. Additionally, CalFresh can be used to purchase plant starts or seeds that produce food.

CalFresh benefits can be used at participating grocery retailers, farmers’ markets, authorized farm stands and some Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) programs. Benefits are provided on an EBT card (Electronic Benefit Transfer), which works just like a bank debit card.

Market Match program at local farmers’ markets provides bonus farmers' market dollars for FREE to shoppers utilizing a CalFresh EBT card at all North Coast Growers' Association farmers’ markets in Arcata, Eureka, McKinleyville, Fortuna and Garberville farmers' markets. Click here for more information on Humboldt Market Match and to see a farmers' market schedule.

Here is a list of CalFresh accessible farm stands and/or Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) programs. CSA is a partnership between a farm and community of supporters. CSA members commit to a farm to a whole growing season by purchasing a CSA share. The farmer then provides each member with a weekly distribution of seasonal produce at the peak of peak of ripeness and nutrition.

How CRRC Can Help

Many students are eligible for CalFresh. College of the Redwoods provides information on CalFresh and Medi-Cal, friendly application assistance,immediate access to food at the campus Food Pantry, and referrals to on and off campus programs in a welcoming community space. 

Learn more about whether or not you can qualify on our Eligibility page.

There are several different options available to make it as easy as possible to apply.
  1. Visit College of the Redwoods pantry located at FM 111 near the quad. XXXX :
  2. Apply at any DHHS Social Services Branch office:
    • In Eureka: 929 Koster Street. 1-877-410-8809
    • In Garberville: 727 Cedar Street (707) 923-2759
    • In Hoopa: 1200 Airport Road (530) 625-4251
  3. Apply at any of DHHS' Mobile Engagement Vehicle (MEV) locations in a community near you. Click here to view the schedule and locations of where the MEV and Mobile Produce Pantry are in the county throughout the month.
  4. Apply online from any computer with internet access at .
  5. Contact Food for People, the food bank of Humboldt County, at (707) 445-3166 x 318 and set up an appointment to apply at the food bank. They can answer questions and submit your application to the County CalFresh office.
  6. Drop by Food for People on any Monday between 9am and 3pm ( CalFresh drop-in hours--no appointment needed--holidays excluded) dor one-on-one assistance. They also have an online call-back form . Once completed, staff will call you back to answer questions and help you with any next steps, whether it's applying, helping with questions after you have applied, or if you're just looking for more information.
  7. If these sites are not conveniently located for you, there are many community partners providing CalFresh application assistance. View the map and list of sites by clicking here.
Applying and Maintaining Benefits

The short application will ask you personal information (address, household size, etc.) in addition to expense and income information. Student eligibility can be further explained here and we can help you obtain the necessary paperwork required for eligibility verification. After the application is submitted, a county representative will contact you to set up an interview (it can be even be a phone interview!) They will let you know next steps.