Basic Police Academy
The Basic Law Enforcement Academy is presented in a MODULAR format. Students having completed Modules III and/or II at another training center may complete the Academy at College of the Redwoods but must contact this office in advance of attendance with these requirements:
- A t-score of more than T-42 on the PELLETB is required
- If more than a year has passed since completion of the prior module, the end-of-module exam must be taken and proof of score provided.
- A copy of the POST training profile must be provided to show proof of completion of prior module(s)at a POST certified Academy (a certificate does not satisfy this requirement).
121st Academy - Spring 2018:
The 121st Academy graduates June 14, 2018!!
We will begin testing later this Fall (see dates below) in preparation for the 123rd Academy that will begin in January.
122nd Academy - Fall 2018:
- MODULE III - AJ 81 - July 9 - August 10, 2018 - 8 units
- MODULE II - AJ 82 - August 13 - September 21, 2018 - 8.5 units
- MODULE I - AJ83 - September 24 - December 13, 2018 - 16 units
123rd Academy - Spring 2019:
- MODULE III - AJ 81 - January 7 - February 8, 2019 - 8 units
- MODULE II - AJ 82 - February 11 - March 22, 2019 - 8.5 units
- MODULE I - AJ83 - March 25 - June 13, 2019 - 16 units
The first step to Academy entrance is successfully completion of the PELLETB (POST Entry Level Law Enforcement Test Battery). The PELLETB is a test intended to test your BASIC literacy and to make sure you will be comfortable with the testing and studying required for the Academy. It is required by P.O.S.T. No fee is required to take the exam. Test results are good for one year . You may take the test as many times as needed to obtain a passing score. However, only one attempt at each month's test is allowed (once for March, once for April, etc) and you must wait 30 days between attempts. Also recognize that a repeated difficulty would indicate a need for further English studies. To register for the test, please call (707) 476-4334 during regular business hours. Receipt of a passing score will start the application process. You will also need to demonstrate the physical agility minimums as noted above. Testing will begin for the 121st Academy in the Fall on these dates:
- Saturday, August 25, 2018
- Saturday, October 6, 2018
- Saturday, November 3, 2018 (NOTE: less than 30 days since previous test)
In addition to the PELLETB, you will now also be required to demonstrate your physical aptitude. On the day of and prior to the PELLETB, you will be required to:
- Complete 20 pushups (straight-leg) in one minute
- Complete 25 sit-ups in one minute
- Run 1.5 miles in 17 minutes or less
These minimum requirements this will assure the entire class is able to work hard and work together towards successful completion of the POST Job-Related Work Test Battery. If you are unable to successfully demonstrate these feats, you may return at any time to try again but you MUST complete the test prior to starting the academy. The physical testing will start at 9:00 am with the PELLETB to follow immediately. Allow three hours to complete the PELLETB though you may finish sooner.
View a practice test >
NOTE: We do not include the essay exam. (This is a pdf file requiring the free Adobe® Reader software)
The College of the Redwoods Basic Law Enforcement Academy is a Modular 950-hour, 23-week, 32.5 unit course certified by the California Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training (P.O.S.T.).
Each academy class is limited to forty students. Applications will be accepted in order of their receipt. Applicants must possess a high school diploma or a G.E.D. The law requires that each student seeking admission to a basic course of training who is not employed full-time by a law enforcement agency or as a reserve officer or deputy submit fingerprints to the Calif. Department of Justice and submit written certification from the California Department of Justice that he or she has no criminal history background which would disqualify him or her, under state law from owning, possessing, or having under his or her control any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed on the person. This clearance is required to be on file prior to the start of the academy. Students are also required to take the P.O.S.T. Entry Level Reading and Writing Skills Test (See Above) prior to attending the academy and pass with a T-score of 42 or higher. Each student must also submit a medical clearance prior to the beginning of the academy, in order to participate in and fulfill the Lifetime Fitness requirements of the Academy. (please refer to Frequently Asked Questions for details on the application process).