Basic Police Academy
The Basic Law Enforcement Academy is presented in a MODULAR format. Students having completed Modules III and/or II at another training center may complete the Academy at College of the Redwoods but must contact this office in advance of attendance with these requirements:
- A t-score of more than T-42 on the PELLETB is required
- If more than a year has passed since completion of the prior module, the end-of-module exam must be taken and proof of score provided.
- A copy of the POST training profile must be provided to show proof of completion of prior module(s)at a POST certified Academy (a certificate does not satisfy this requirement).
The 119th Academy is in the middle of Module 2. There is still room for anyone who has already completed Modules 3 and 2 to join the class for Module 1. This class is scheduled to graduate on Thursday, June 15, 2017 at 1:00 pm in College of the Redwoods' Performing Arts Theater.
- MODULE III - AJ 81 - January 9 - February 10, 2017 - 8 units
- MODULE II - AJ 82 -February 13 - March 25, 2017 - 8.5 units
- MODULE I - AJ83 - March 27 - June 15, 2017 - 16 units
Although registration is still in progress, the roster is full at this time, including applications received for Module 1. Those still hoping to attend and in possession of a current PELLETB score, may call the office to request an application packet. Upon receipt, you can be placed on a wait-list. We are building a roster now for the next (120th) Academy to begin in the Fall of 2017.
120th Academy - Fall 2017:
- MODULE III - AJ 81 - July 10 - August 11, 2017 - 8 units
- MODULE II - AJ 82 -August 14 - September 23, 2017 - 8.5 units
- MODULE I - AJ83 - September 25 - December 15, 2017 - 16 units
121st Academy - Spring 2018:
- MODULE III - AJ 81 - January 8 - February 9, 2018 - 8 units
- MODULE II - AJ 82 - February 12 - March 23, 2018 - 8.5 units
- MODULE I - AJ83 - March 26 - June 15, 2018 - 16 units
The first step to Academy entrance is successfully completion of the PELLETB (POST Entry Level Law Enforcement Test Battery). The PELLETB is a test intended to test your BASIC literacy and to make
sure you will be comfortable with the testing and studying required for
the Academy. It is required by P.O.S.T. No fee is required to take the
Test results are good for one year . You may take the
test as many times as needed to obtain a passing score. However, only
one attempt at each month's test is allowed (once for March, once for
April, etc) and you must wait 30 days between attempts. Also recognize
that a repeated difficulty would indicate a need for further English
studies. To register for the test, please call (707) 476-4334 during
regular business hours. Receipt of a passing score will start the application process. You will also need to demonstrate the physical agility minimums as noted above. Testing will begin for the 120th Academy in the Spring on these dates:
- Saturday, March 4, 2017
- Saturday, April 1, 2017 (NOTE: less than 30 days since previous test)
- Saturday, May 6, 2017
In addition to the PELLETB, you will now also be required to demonstrate your physical aptitude. On the day of and prior to the PELLETB, you will be required to:
- Complete 20 pushups (straight-leg) in one minute
- Complete 25 sit-ups in one minute
- Run 1.5 miles in 17 minutes or less
These minimum requirements this will assure the entire class is able to work hard and work together towards successful completion of the POST Job-Related Work Test Battery. If you are unable to successfully demonstrate these feats, you may return at any time to try again but you MUST complete the test prior to starting the academy. The physical testing will start at 9:00 am with the PELLETB to follow immediately. Allow three hours to complete the PELLETB though you may finish sooner.
View a practice test >
NOTE: We do not include the essay exam. (This is a pdf file requiring the free Adobe® Reader software)
The College of the Redwoods Basic Law Enforcement Academy is a Modular 950-hour, 23-week, 32.5 unit course certified by the California Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training (P.O.S.T.).
Each academy class is limited to forty students. Applications will be accepted in order of their receipt. Applicants must possess a high school diploma or a G.E.D. The law requires that each student seeking admission to a basic course of training who is not employed full-time by a law enforcement agency or as a reserve officer or deputy submit fingerprints to the Calif. Department of Justice and submit written certification from the California Department of Justice that he or she has no criminal history background which would disqualify him or her, under state law from owning, possessing, or having under his or her control any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed on the person. This clearance is required to be on file prior to the start of the academy. Students are also required to take the P.O.S.T. Entry Level Reading and Writing Skills Test (See Above) prior to attending the academy and pass with a T-score of 42 or higher. Each student must also submit a medical clearance prior to the beginning of the academy, in order to participate in and fulfill the Lifetime Fitness requirements of the Academy. (please refer to Frequently Asked Questions for details on the application process).