Using MS Access with Your Datatel Data
9:00am-12:00pm, Wednesday, May 2, 2018
The purpose of this mini-course is to help Counseling users learn how to use MS Access to view and report their Datatel data. We will build lots and lots of queries! And maybe learn a little database theory along the way.
The three-hour session will include:
- Tables, Records, and Fields (oh my)
- Simple queries using a single table
- Adding a prompt to your query (what is really happening under the hood when we do this)
- Joining multiple tables to form a query
- Using saved queries as data for new queries
- Queries that make new tables (discuss local tables vs linked or global tables)
- Discussion – When to use saved queries vs when to create and use new tables
- Queries that append records to existing tables
- Queries to update data in existing tables – What’s the point of record pointers (keys)?
- Putting formulas in your queries
- Adding linked or global tables to your database (Where is the data I need?!)
- Creating macros to run a group of queries in succession
- Any extra time, I will help you create your own queries.