Financial Aid


Grants are awarded based on demonstrated financial need. Typically, grants do not require repayment. However, partial or full repayment may be required if you do not complete the credits you registered for.

This California state funded fee waiver program was established to assist low to middle income California residents with the enrollment fees.  Eligible students do not receive a check from this program, but enrollment fees are waived.  The BOG fee waiver does not pay student health fees, student technology fees, student activity fees, course material fees, audit fees, or books.  Make sure you check your account statement and pay all applicable fees to ensure your registration and prevent future holds on your account.

There are no unit (minimum or maximum) requirements to receive the BOG fee waiver.

How do I apply?

Students completing the Free Application For Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or a California Dream Act Application will have their BOG fee waiver eligibility automatically determined. If you have not completed a FAFSA/Dream Act Application, you may download a BOG application Click here to download forms  or pick up an application from the Student Assistance Center (Eureka), EOPS, or DSPS Offices.  It is important that your eligibility be determined prior to registering for classes. If you have questions or concerns regarding your residency status, please contact the Admissions and Records Office at (707) 476-4200.

Can I lose the BOG Fee Waiver?

Community colleges are required to place students on academic probation who, after attempting at least 12 semester units, either have a grade point average below 2.0 or receive a “withdrawal,” “incomplete,” or “no pass” mark on 50 percent or more of total attempted units. This is not the same as financial aid satisfactory academic progress standards.Students who are placed on probation for two consecutive semesters lose their priority registration status.   Beginning Fall 2016, students will also lose their fee waiver if they have been on college probation for two consecutive semesters. Those students who lose their fee waiver have the option to file a Loss of BOG Appeal to see if they can regain their eligiblity, or they can regain eligibility when they are no longer on academic probation.

This Pell Grant is a federally funded grant program which provides awards to undergraduate students.  Students must complete the Free Application for Federal Financial Aid (FAFSA) as the starting point to determine eligibility.   This application must be completed EACH academic year.

Award amounts are based on family contribution (as determined through the FAFSA) and unit enrollment.  Awards range from $400 - $5,815 per year. Students enrolled in less than full-time receive pro-rate amounts according to their unit enrollment. Students in 9-11.5 units receive approximately 75% of the maximum amount; students in 6-8.5 units receive approximately 50% of the maximum.  Students in less than half-time receive a significantly lower amount as room and board is not allowed to be considered in the cost-of-attendance.

Can I lose the Pell Grant?

Students must be enrolled in an eligible AA, AS, Transfer or certificate program and meet all other federal eligibility requirements, including maintaining satisfactory academic progress standards (SAP).  More information on the SAP standards is available on the Satisfactory Academic Progress link.   

The maximum lifetime eligibility to receive a Pell Grant changed from 9 full years to 6 full years.  This is retroactive to the first time a student received a Pell Grant.  The 6 years is based on receipt of full-time Pell Grant funds.

The 2016-2017 Free Application for Federal Student Aid ("FAFSA") will be used to determine eligibility for Pell Grant for the 2017 summer semester. College of the Redwoods generally has a number of summer sessions of differing lengths, which are combined into one"Cross-over" Payment Period. If a student has not yet used their entire Pell Grant entitlement for the 2016-17 academic year, they can be considered for a summer Pell Grant disbursement.  More information about summer Pell can be found here.

This is a Federal grant program.  CR has limited funding in this program, so students should apply early.  SEOG is awarded on a first come first serve basis to eligible students with the highest need.  Eligibility is automatically determined through the FAFSA.

Awards range from $100 - $2,000 per year.

Can I lose the SEOG?

Students must be enrolled in an eligible AA,AS,Transfer or certificate program and meet all other federal eligibility requirements, including maintaining satisfactory academic progress (SAP) standards.  More information on the SAP standards is available on the Satisfactory Academic Progress link.

These grants are awarded by the California Student Aid Commission; only California residents are eligible. The Cal Grant B and Cal Grant C programs are available to students enrolled at CR (Cal Grant A is available only at four-year colleges and universities).

Students must complete the FAFSA or CA Dream Act Application to apply.  GPA verification is also required for this program.  If you have been enrolled only at CR and meet the unit requirements, your GPA will be electronically submitted to the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC).  If you are new to CR and have recently graduated from a CA high school, your high school will submit your GPA to CSAC. The initial processing deadline for the Cal Grant program is March 2.  There is a September 2 supplemental processing deadline for California Community College students only.

Awards range from $300 - $1,670 per year.

Students should create an account on the Webgrants For Students website to view updates or make changes to their Cal Grant information with the California Student Aid Commission.

Can I lose the Cal Grant?

Students must be enrolled in an eligible program and meet all other eligibility requirements, including maintaining satisfactory academic progress standards (SAP).  More information on the SAP standards is available on the Satisfactory Academic Progress link.

The California Student Aid Commission can also withdraw a student's Cal Grant for various reasons.  For more information, contact the California Student Aid Commission at (888) 224-7268.

The Full Time Student Success Grant (FTSSG) is a California State Aid program that provides additional funding (up to $600) for students who are enrolled full time (12+ units) at the time of disbursement of a Cal Grant B or Cal Grant C award.

These grants are available to qualified Native American students through tribal or federal BIA funding. To apply, students should contact their tribal office for application forms. In addition, the FASFA must be completed. Award amounts vary from year to year.  Students can contact the Education Officer of their tribe for more information.  Click here for a Tribal Leaders Directory.